See all that Pierre has to offer.
As the capital of South Dakota, there’s always something interesting happening in Pierre. We’ve put together a list of activities and places to visit to keep you busy—and best of all, they’re all easily accessible from our hotel.
- South Dakota State Capitol - Completed in 1910, the Capitol is a stunning building to visit and tour.
- Capital Lake & Memorials - Beautiful Capital Lake, Fighting Stallions, WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, and Flaming Fountain.
- Governors Mansion Tours - Free tours, but require a ticket. Tours occur every Wednesday during June, July, and August. Call (605) 224-7361 for tickets.
- South Dakota Cultural Heritage Museum - Open 7 days a week with free admission for kids.
- South Dakota National Guard Museum- Open 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday–Friday. Call (605) 773-2475.
- South Dakota Discovery Center
- Oahe Dam Visitor Center and Chapel - Learn about the dam and how the lake was built as well as the chapel, built in 1877 to serve as a church and schoolhouse for the Oahe Mission and Sioux Indians.
- Casey Tibbs South Dakota Rodeo Center - View the rodeo memorabilia of rodeo superstars
- Oahe Downstream OHV Area - Open to the public with 400 acres of hills, bluffs, and slopes to explore. No designated trails are marked.
- Trail of Governors - In 2010, the Foundation commissioned South Dakota artists to create lifesize bronze statues of the state's past governors.
- Pierre Historic Homes Driving Tour
- Native American Scenic Byway
- Verendrye Museum - Explore the names of the first Europeans to visit South Dakota.
Other Outdoor Activities
Staying at the ClubHouse Hotel & Suites in Pierre, South Dakota, puts you and your family in the center of activity.
Sturgis Bike Rally - Annual August event (170 miles)
Biking and hiking - Take a leisurely stroll on the Lewis & Clark trail (26 miles) along the Missouri River or a challenging hike across rugged terrain on the National Grasslands.
Bird watching - Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe offer paths for excellent birding and nature-watching
Prairie Butterfly Garden at the Oahe Downstream Recreation area.
Pierre Capitol Walk Volksmarch (April 1 - October 1)
LaFromboise Biking Trail - Wind through the woods and meadows inhabited by diverse wildlife.
Cottonwood Path - This national recreation trail is popular for naturalists especially with the potential bald eagle sightings
Golf - Check out Hillsview Golf Course for an 18-hole, par-72 course. Call (605) 773-6191 for tee times. You can also check out Dunes Golf Course, an 18-hole, par-63 course. Call (605) 223-2525 for tee times.
Steamboat Park - directly across the street
Tennis and Horseshoe - Pierre offers a dozen free public courts at city parks. Call (605) 773-7445 for more information.
- Disc Golf - There are 3 disc golf courses in Pierre: Ohae Downstream, Griffin Park, and Steamboat Park. Call (605) 773-7445 for more information.
Looking for more ideas?
Give us a call at (605) 494-2582 or contact us at any time.Contact Us